Program description/DescripciÃ³n del programa
90/10 Program Design
- Students begin academic instruction in Spanish, with increasing amounts of English added each year until 4th and 5th grades, when day is approximately 50% in English and 50% in Spanish.
- Literacy is developed first in Spanish for all students, and English literacy begins in1st grade.
- Ability to think, speak, read, and write fluently in two languages
- Academic achievement at or above grade level in both languages
- Development of positive cross-cultural relationships
- By 5th grade the students will attain fluency and literacy in both languages.
- All participants recognize that second language learning is a gradual process and that it will take many years to achieve full proficiency.
- Planning & Collaboration through monthly meetings
- Team Teaching/Mutual Support
- 3 National Board Certified or Master awarded teachers
- Stability of staff & Paraprofessionals
- Empowers students to achieve the highest academic, social and linguistic skills to give them advantages now and for future success.
- Learning a second language stimulates the brain to develop higher level reasoning skills which transfer to complex critical thinking in math, science, and language arts.
- An opportunity to interact and develop a greater understanding and appreciation for other cultures.